The City presented its own concept for Commercial and Venables to the Citizens’ Assembly. It contains less density overall, a tower of 9 storeys on Venables and maximum 6 storeys on the north half of the site. This sounds like an improvement, but actually doesn’t answer the concerns of the No Tower Coalition.
- 9 storeys is still too high. We want human scale.
- There is no substantial public or green space added to the plan. Our neighbourhood is park deficient.
- This still adds expensive, high-end condos to a low-income and renter-predominant area of the neighbourhood. We want protection against rising land value and rent rates.
- City planners are already warning their scenario has a “funding gap” that will make it impossible to meet the Kettle’s needs without more density.
- We fear a bait-and-switch tactic, taking us back to the height and density we originally rejected.
- The City’s plan will still require a spot rezoning. We oppose all spot rezonings as they diminish community control and government accountability.
Let Council and planners know what you want at Commercial and Venables! Complete the City’s questionnaire about the Grandview-Woodland DRAFT Community Plan. Check out the next two posts, below, to get ideas.